The Development Services Department is responsible for future planning, development, and orderly growth of the community. We are responsible for protecting the community's health, safety, and general welfare through the enforcement of Town Codes and Ordinances, building and nuisance inspections, and through the establishment and implementation of standards for development that further the community's vision of creating a high-quality of life for current and future residents. We strive to do this while maintaining civic and economic vitality, preserving the natural rural environment, and establishing a community in which residents have the ability to live, work, recreate, and raise a family. The Development Services Department works to meet the needs of the community.
The Development Services Department consists of the following divisions:
- Building Inspections
- Code Enforcement
- Animal Control
Development Review process
Anytime an owner of property decides to develop their land they must first obtain municipal permission to build any structure which requires a building permit within the Town of Sunnyvale. This process can be simple when obtaining a permit to construct a room addition, or it can become fairly complex when developing a large commercial center or industrial warehouse. The process is usually categorized into several steps such as zoning, platting, site permit and/or building permit, inspection and certificate of occupancy. Depending on the complexity of the project, all or some combination of these steps are required.
Regardless of the specifics of a development, every project must address the following:
- Zoning - the designation must be appropriate for the type of development and its intended use
- Platting - the lot on which the development will be situated must be properly platted
- Inspection - inspections will take place during and after construction by the Town
- Permitting - every building and structure on the platted lot(s) must have a valid building permit
- Certificate of Occupancy - issued upon successful completion of all Town requirements
Below is the general order of the development review process: